Close X

Removal of Condition

Posted by Uzo Akpele | Mar 14, 2019 | 0 Comments

4042503295For persons who obtained their green card through marriage AND whose marriage was less than two years old on the day they received their green card, there is ANOTHER STEP in their journey to permanent residence in the United States. US immigration law presumes that a marriage which has not crossed the two year mark is suspect, so it it issues green cards for such marriages with a condition. It is required that the couple file a joint petition to remove condition on permanent residence. A couple may start out happy, yet the marriage may crash within two years; before it is time to file the petition to remove condition. That petition still must be filed or the non-US citizen spouse would lose status as a permanent resident.

Our office has assisted a good number of clients in this situation. We have been able to help such clients by filing the petition to remove condition for the non-US citizen spouse and providing documents that support the good faith of the marriage up till the time when the marriage broke up. Call us today at (404).250.3295 if it is time to file your I-751petition to remove condition BUT you are no longer in marital harmony with your US citizen spouse. AKPELE & ASSOCIATES can also help if you are late in filing your I-751 relative petition or simply if it is time to file that petition. We are waiting to hear from you.

About the Author

Uzo Akpele

Uzo Akpele was born and raised in Nigeria. In 1986, she began studying law at The University of Nigeria, graduating in 1990. In 1991, she was admitted into the Nigeria Bar. Upon moving to the United States, she again studied law at The University of Georgia School of Law, from where she graduated in 2000.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Akpele & Associates LLC Is Here for You

Naturalization, Waivers, Family-based green cards, Business green cards, Business non-immigrant visas.

Contact us Today

Contact us today to schedule an appointment to discuss your case and how we can assist you to achieve your immigration goal.